Monday, August 15, 2011

Lunchtime Love: Pita Crisps!

Back to school time is quickly approaching, and one thing that's one my mind? Lunch. I hate school food. Like, would not touch it with a 39-and-one-half foot pole hate. Therefore, I'm always looking for tasty, healthy new options to brown bag take in my tres adorable VB lunchbox to school. 

While perusing this months issue of Seventeen, I came across an idea that looked both tasty AND super do-able for school: toasted pita!

I decided to put my own spin on their idea, so here's my recipe for homemade, healthy pita crisps!

1. Cut one whole pita (I used whole wheat) in half. Put one half away.
2. Cut the other half in half, and then in half again, to make 4 triangles.
3. Since pita is inherently doubled on itself, each of the 4 traingles can be cut on their crease to make 8 single crisps.
4. Heat a small frying pan over medium-high heat. If it isn't Teflon coated, spray it lightly with olive oil.
5. Spray one side of each crisp lightly with olive oil.
6. Lightly sprinkle with salt and garlic powder.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 on the other side of each crisp, leaving out the garlic.
8. Place the crisps four at a time onto the hot frying pan, flipping midway through, until they are golden brown.
9. Serve with a side of salsa and lots of fresh veggies!

Here's one way I ate mine this week:


The great thing about homemade is that you can tailor this recipe to what you like- don't be afraid to mix it up and try all different seasonings and sauces for your crisps!

Happy Lunching!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

MMMM. That pita idea is SO smart and looks DELICIOUS! You are so ingenious to think it up :)

Hannah said...

Thanks! I'm planning on doing a few more school lunch posts, so you should definitely check back for those soon!